Job & Internship Opportunities
COMMUNICATIONS & DEVELOPMENT INTERN
Want to be part of a dynamic, hard-working team making a difference in Malawi? The Art and Global Health
Center Africa (ArtGlo) is looking for a highly motivated individual to serve as a Communications & Development
Intern. The experience will be hands-on, in a flexible, supportive and fast-paced multicultural and collaborative
environment. At Art Glo, the intern will develop skills in communications, fundraising, monitoring and evaluation,
administration, documentation , events planning, and participatory and arts-based approaches.
WHY INTERN AT ARTGLO?
The mission of the Art & Global Health Center Africa (ArtGlo) is to foster creative leadership and implement
innovative, arts-based, health-oriented programmes that inspire and mobilise. Our vision is to serve as an
“incubator” for arts-based approaches to actionable social change, creating replicable models that challenge
barriers to healthy living.
ArtGlo programmes nurture healthy, empowered, open and active communities in Malawi. Three programmes
form the core of our work: MAKE ART/STOP AIDS, Students with Dreams and Umunthu. Through participatory
film and theatre, MAKE ART/STOP AIDS strives to break social, cultural and structural barriers to HIV testing,
treatment and care. STUDENTS WITH DREAMS is a youth leadership programme that provides college students
with training, mentorship and seed funding to develop innovative projects that address pressing social issues.
UMUNTHU uses the arts to catalyse reflection and discussion, providing a platform to address issues of stigma
and discrimination, particularly as they relate to LGBTI communities, through the lens of “Umunthu,” a Pan-African
philosophical concept of humanity often defined in the phrase, “I am because we are.”
Reporting to the Communications and Development Officer ,the Communications Intern will do the
· Manage and contribute regularly to ArtGlo’s social media networks; twitter, Instagram, Facebook,
· Write articles for ArtGlo’s publications and website, and possibly external blogs/ publications
· Maintain and add text, image, and video content for the website
· Assist with media management and relations for events and external publication
· Collect case studies, videos, testimonies etc. from people involved in/ benefiting from ArtGlo programs
· Assist with events planning and management
· Help design Communications materials, including brochures, invitation cards, info sheets, annual report
· Research potential partners, funders, and grant opportunities
· Maintain and build up fundraising database
· Assist with grant applications and grant reporting
· Provide M&E support, including helping with data entry
· Provide administrative support, including filing, copying and scanning important documents, organizing
the organization’s digital files, and related duties.
Deadline: 15th May , 2018.
Qualifications and Skills required:
-A Bachelor of Arts Degree in Journalism/ Media for Development Studies/Communication Studies.
· Excellent written communication skills, both for reporting and for general public (blogs/ newsletters/
· Experience in marketing and communications would be a great advantage
· Experience in M&E would be an advantage
· Graphic design skills - working knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, or other design software an
· Willingness and ability to learn new online software quickly and readily
· Demonstrated knowledge of social media networks and current trends
· Creative, team player with great interpersonal skills
· Innovative and creative thinking in problem solving and implementation
· Punctual and reliable
· Tolerant and patient attitude
· Self motivated and able to take initiative
· Good sense of humour
· Commitment to the values and aims of ArtGlo
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified candidates should send following to firstname.lastname@example.org and write in the subject line:
Communications Intern – YOUR NAME:
· CV/Resume, with 2 references
· Letter of Interest describing what you hope to gain from the internship and any relevant experience you
· Short writing sample (no more than 1/2 page): Please submit any articles or other Communications
pieces that you have produced; if none are available, please write about: ‘A time you took action on a
social change issue you're passionate about.’
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
ArtGlo is an equal opportunity employer. Women are encouraged to apply.
Livingstone Rd, P.O. Box 607, Zomba, Malawi
Tel: 0111559160 | Email: email@example.com | Web: www.aghcafrica.org
volunteer with us
Would you like to build your experience in international development and the use of participatory arts to ignite social change? We welcome volunteers who have a strong passion for our mission and vision, and with skills in areas including communications, fundraising, research/ monitoring and evaluation, finance and operations.
We advertise opportunities through Omprakash and Accountants for International Development. You can also contact us with information about your skills and interests, to explore whether there could be a mutually beneficial volunteer opportunity at firstname.lastname@example.org. We sometimes have opportunities that can be conducted remotely, particularly in the areas of fundraising and communications.